The future’s certainly looking bright on the indie front, with yesterday’s Nintendo Indie World Showcase showering us with plenty of exciting titles. One such game was Garden Story, a particularly charming looking game starring a cute little grape called Concord.
There appears to be a nice blend of exploration and combat here, but the main goal is to rebuild your precious home and cultivate your own community. Let’s kick things off with this official description:
As the newly-appointed Guardian of the Grove, traverse a vibrant island to combat invasive Rot, inspire its inhabitants, and rebuild your home.
Concord, the youngest grape in The Grove, is now a Guardian, and it’s their job to help restore the island. Fortunately, Concord has friends like Elderberry, Rana, and Fuji on their side! With their help, you can take on the dangerous Rot and find ways to encourage other residents to assist in the efforts.
The Grove is your home, and your work will affect change for the better! Protect your friends, gather precious materials, and repair social ties and structures by bringing the fruits, fungi, and frogs of each village together as they work to fend off the Rot that threatens to destroy your home for good. Guide Concord’s restoration efforts and earn the trust of the community: help others with their problems, and they’ll offer you help in return!
Want more? Then we’ll give you more! Check out these key features and screenshots:
– Explore a lush, living world: Immerse yourself in The Grove’s vibrant, organic ecosystem with four distinct (and adorable!) regions to enjoy.
– Foster community: Take on requests, complete favors, and work as a role model to provide inhabitants with the confidence to support one another. Don’t be afraid to ask for help: we’re rebuilding together!
– Combat Rot: Solve puzzles and fend off Rot as you delve into particularly infested locations of The Grove. Take caution: especially formidable Rot have taken residence in the depths of these areas!
– Experiment with equipment: Utilize a variety of items to help gather resources, grow gardens, stave off Rot, solve puzzles, and indulge in the occasional musical interlude!
– Cultivate your home: Care for garden plots, gather resources, curate libraries, upgrade your tools, and rebuild structures.
Garden Story is set to launch on Switch in 2021. If you missed any of the other games in yesterday’s show, make sure to explore them all in our big round-up of all the announcements.
Do you think Garden Story could be one to keep an eye on? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.